Friday, February 03, 2006

Cyber identities

Since I'm being kept awake to disastrous (for uni) hours and this blog post being written in my head is partly responsible I might as well have it out.
I was kinda incoherently trying to articulate this thought to MD today- about how cool it is having different roles and identities on the net. It's the same as in real life where one person is at once a student, a family member, a YMSer, etc and I'm not sure exactly where the difference lies. Is it that Real Life roles often intersect and there is a lot of your 'identity' that you can't be separated from ie, your looks, your name..?

I'm not questioning whether anonymity and internet friendships are healthy or trustworthy or dangerous- I mean they're an inevitable phenonmenon and result of us all being connected. There are just different rules to that kind of relationship that's all, like how well you know them before sending a photo and revealing details of your RL life.

I'm starting to ramble I think cause I don't have a definite point to make except that I'm curious to know what all your cyber-identities might be outside of our little family+friends blogging community. You don't need to say names but are any of you active and actual personalities of forums, fandoms, yahoo groups, etc? I know some of you used to frequent the old ym and uni isoc boards but I'm more interested in stuff a little less close to home. Maybe your an entrepreneur or a noisy political commentator? Or a Trekkie geek?

This wondering came on partly because a relative just told me to check out their activity on a particular discussion board- and though the posts didn't exactly surpriseme I think I was more surprised that I was asked to read it. Not only because the reaction from fellow posters was usually very hostile but cos it felt vaguely voyeuristic. The other reason is because I'm pretty sure I'm being sucked into another fandom and I want to know if anyone else I know has had this experience- I don't think I'm the only one. It's a crazy addiction- one that's kept me awake til 5.30am today- but the best thing about it is the people you meet and, though it sounds geeky enough, the community of it and the friends you make, cause many of them are talented and funny beyond belief.

Ok I'm going to sleep.

17 Comments:

Blogger Tamanna said...

Lol.

I once was an avid member of the RA fan group.

And I sometimes check out the mugglenet forum, but rarely comment - too scared they'd think my ideas are dumb (although some of theirs are out of the world!)

2:38 pm  
Blogger Pink said...

ahh... i'm part of many egroups, discussion forums less so now, but i used to be outrageous on them... and no, not the ym/isoc ones - altho its really weird u blogging abt it coz i was jst looking at the forum last night and our crazy antics - "already our minds are thinking as one.." (puss in boots, shrek2)

anyway, wrt to cyber-identities - proper anonymous identities are fun coz u get to re-invent urself over and over, its like a first impression everytime, and its easier to be witty online wen u have a few more seconds to think ;) also there's no strings attached...

3:25 pm  
Blogger warm as toast said...

How avid tab? You read some of the fanfic right- what else? Lol You the intrepid journo were scared of a bunch of kids on Mugglenet?
Young BSE I think was/is kind of on the fringes of HP fandom in that she appreciates some of what it produces without ever directly participating. OTOH she had to do like 200 posts on an OC board to get hold of the episode links.

Do you two use different names on these boards that us lot don't know about?

3:45 pm  
Blogger Tamanna said...

No, I just commented on various things that were being said, and it was a nice community atmosphere in the RA e-group.

Conversation effectively stopped in horror when I revealed that none could now touch him, as I had married him in a secret wedding and persuaded him to take up law.

I used both my fruitcake identity and real name synonymously.

11:04 pm  
Blogger Pink said...

i always use different names when i sign upto something new. not for egrps tho, coz its thru yahoo if - what abt u urself MS FLOOOOZY? :)

1:17 am  
Blogger warm as toast said...

:P well... it's not a secret that I was once entirely zombified in service of the SQ forum- and that would be my main alter-ego cause LJs, egroups and other fandoms all stem from that.

8:57 am  
Blogger warm as toast said...

ps Miss 'gay guns activist' ;) it's NOT Miss Floozy- and for Tab change your link cause I don't answer to 'jugs' either. Jiminy crickets!

8:59 am  
Blogger Pink said...

awww cummon, mine aint as bad as 'jugs'!!! that's jst nasty. and shush, my steadily increasing campaign is meant to be a secret :p

7:21 pm  
Blogger Pink said...

and btw generating discussion on one post does Not excuse u from blogging a fresh one...

11:42 pm  
Blogger Tamanna said...

ROFL!!!

Just realised the implication of Jugs.


Suddenly burst out laughing when I thought of it. If I was drinking milk, I'm sure I'd need a handkerchief...

12:08 am  
Blogger Pink said...

only realised now fudge??!! im sure i told u that the first time u referred to her as jugs... lol u're crazy.

12:29 pm  
Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

err, I don't get it...

9:41 pm  
Blogger Pink said...

Oh Bikey... *shakes head*

7:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont get it either

9:36 pm  
Blogger Tamanna said...

Never mind, it's not something that instantly came to my mind, which is why I put that abbreviation.

People of a less pure state of mind (take note, Pink and Jug), may be lead to believe our floozy to be rather flattering to herself.

8:14 pm  
Blogger MD said...

errrr....i dont get it either....its gettin lonely here in the world of confusion!

7:35 pm  
Blogger warm as toast said...

less pure state of mind huh! What with Slimey's constant Floozying I feel very much victimized with all this rudeness. And none of you will stop!

4:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home