Saturday, December 03, 2005

Review Binge

I'm sorry for the word binge- it's ugly and I don't like it but I've been intending to review a number of things; only each time something new happens and it's all snowballed now. But I have a lovely lazy post-coursework weekend so I think it is time.

Going backwards from Now:

I have finally, after much dithering, decided that going to Bangladesh is the right choice. Mainly because I know Scrooginess is what's holding me back and I don't want any Christmas ghosts visiting. So it looks like I'll be leaving Christmas day insha'allah and hopefully the world will look very pretty and twinkly from up in the plane. I do like all this winter sparkle. Yay! I get to go to weddings 4 & 5! Sorry Boz, that's what they're called.

Speaking of sparkle, Tab's Spectacular concept is sounding wonderful. I was feeling a bit sad that our big YMS dream wasn't quite getting off the ground but if this is a smash then we're all good. (Btw Tab, it was Mrs C who advised I shouldn't let it stop me from going to B'desh, though I'm sure you'ld say the same, it's not like using paltry exams as an excuse)

As for Harry Potter- I don't want to recount the sad (in many senses) story that resulted in my watching it so late- but it was The Most Magical. It actually looked real- I could just accept the underwater task and Voldemort's rebirth and everything. Wow, Voldemort was terrifying. And I felt worse about Cedric than I did when I read it. I thought I'd heard and read every review and it might be overhyped- plus I saw way too many clips- but it still topped my expectations which after PoA were pretty low. For The Review click here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/arabellasq/2377.html#cutid1

On the other hand I saw City of God last weekend at the C's and that is just on an entirely different level of amazing. It's no magical fantasy world but anyone who can handle the brutality watch it- it's unbelievable.

I ought to do a proper review of the Chechnya conference but I'm not sure how to present it so I'll think on it first...

The Chinese dude's Arabic calligraphy workshop- I can only shake my head in wonder at his skill. He'd do something you'ld expect to take hours as a mere five-second illustration of how a certain pen works. I'll put a picture up of my prize for writing the best noon on the board (compared to two others) Sure it wasn't much of a competition but I got my name written out beautifully so it looks like a bird. And Dude, I thank you for pushing me to do it and for shouting out that mine was the winner so it was a short step for him to agree to it :)

Hope that'll satisfy y'all for a little while!

Ps. I have successfully drawn Ray into the Firefly fold. The rest of you don't know what you're missing but I won't try to convince you anymore- I just needed someone to share quotes and references with. What's called 'common ground' if you want to get technical.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mariamazmi said...

omg! your coming!
WOW exciting! When and for how long?
My god, its peak time you know, it's going to kill you.
anyway, will be nice to see you.
Don't come too soon, you'll miss my letters!
ws
Cow x

8:52 am  
Blogger Mariamazmi said...

yeah, harry potter was surprisingly amazing. Some bits were just how i imagined them to be, like the pensieve and the underwater bit. Even though they didn't have Winky which was dissappointing, they did the B.C Jr thing very well.
City of God, i'll put that on the DVD list then.
Check your mail you goon, i've emailed you a few times.
ws
Cow (again) x

8:56 am  
Blogger Mariamazmi said...

salam, me again.

RAY is watching firefly? I thought you said it was dodgy?
Oh well.
I won't be able to go shopping with you because i'm leaving less than a week before you come!Pest, can't you come any sooner?
ws
Cow x

9:01 am  
Blogger warm as toast said...

Oh I got your letter! :D I love letters- they are the MOST exciting.. I'm coming on the 25th iA for about two weeks. And yes it's going to cost a bomb.

Don't worry I judiciously edited the Firefly.

Aww.. I forgot how you love your drunken Winky

2:46 pm  
Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

gah!

6:20 pm  
Blogger warm as toast said...

lol! No need to turn into Mr Goon mij. If you can get a ticket for £300 (its less'n half I'm paying) then you should totally come! I mean how likely is this manyof us going to ever go again- and Australians! We'd finally get to meet beyond cyberspace...

10:21 pm  
Blogger Mariamazmi said...

yeah! and they are very cool!
You should stay for eid while your there though, jug. Total waste if it's only for 2 weeks.

7:25 pm  
Blogger mad as a cambridge bicycle said...

hey jug! can you send me the article you read on haji Noor ud deen? We might invite him for our calligraphy soc cos he's gonna be in eng next november iA!!!

wassalam

12:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home