Sunday, March 08, 2009

I want this to be short...
My birthday was slightly befogged by a bad headcold but I managed to have a full and happy day despite the streaming nose. The plan was to check out an old book and engravings market near the fontana di trevi which closed 1-ish and then do a touristy wander. I found an amazing store called RE(f)USE which had stunning recycled art. I'll upload the spectacular(!) chandelier made from thick old-school NHS glasses- the kind i was too ashamed to wear in primary and most likely started my whole walking-the-world-blithely-blind thing. It was on a totally haute couture street where I'd be afraid to go inside any of the shops in all my dirt but this place seemed a little different- though no less immaculately presented.

Well I went inside and saw that it was all amazing, out of my league, craftwork but I was brave enough to engage the elegant counter lady in conversation and she let me take photos and when I went upstairs another girl took me into a special room of repurposed things turned into strange and amazing crockery and bags and all kinds. It was like entering a giant vault- I confess I had flashbacks to Princess Diaries 2 or something like it when their crown jewels are suddenly revealed to them. Seriously though it was pretty cool and hi tech. I asked the girl if their stuff is ever just art or if everything, like the crazy, scottie-like shredded magazine armchair, was useable- she said that if the stuff wasn't useful then it would just end up as another kind of refuse. They discovered their artists from all different places, including the internet- but they didn't create things themselves. Seemed like an interesting set up- the alternative, ethical craft scene at the high end of the scale- and apparently unique in Italy.

The antique book market was just a few little stalls with postcards and old pictures and leathery books in a sunny piazza. I spent forever browsing happily and nobody felt impatient when I finally plucked out one measly half euro postcard out of the pile of antiques. I'll show you tomorrow- It's three men on a tandem bike out riding a steam train.

Later in the evening the aunt and I bought around 20 bottles of shampoo and stuff and a long window wiper which i twirled about on the way home like Dick Van Dyke doing his chimney sweep routine.

edited to add: I saw the fountain and it was big and crowded- I was more excited about my delicious ice cream. I tried eating it in MUJI but the tall black store guys said salaam nicely then threw me out..

3 Comments:

Blogger Giddy a said...

Awww happy belated birthday! Mariam reminded us whilst we were at the CWC on the weekend. Hope it went ok apart from the headcold :(
Hope ur well x

10:29 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why on earth 20 bottles of shampoo?? Btw hope you got my birthday text! And yes the African guys are all very nice and friendly in Italy, one gave me a friendship bracelet when he came into the restaurant we were in to sell random trinkets, v sweet. He tried speaking Arabic to Kerim too but neither of them were that good at it :p

12:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm doing pretty well thankyou dear Giddy :) Did some ill-advised biking round villa borghese yesterday so my bones are paying for it today..

Bikey, the aunt likes to buy in bulk when she happens to find a bargain. Yousuf thinks I'm exaggerating and that it was only around 10 bottles but I'm sure it was more than that. I may need your mother in law's phone number btw- i have one day, two at a stretch to make my decision..

12:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home