Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Food

Discovered strange and wonderful foods today. My throat is still sore from dinner but it was worth it.

Earlier in the day my aunt had me peel and chop long stems called 'kuchu' and she was surprised to hear that I was unfamiliar with them. Turns out I shouldn't have rinsed them before chopping- once wet they begin stinging like the devil. They may look like leeks but they have the heart of thorny nettles. The aunt advised me to hold my hand over the fire to cool the stinging pain.

Naturally I was a little apprehensive about eating the blighters, but they had melted down into an unrecognisable brown mush and after a tentative pinchful proved to be amazingly tasty I piled my plate high with the stuff.

Later on as my gobbling slowed down I began to noticed that my tongue and the roof of my mouth were itching like I'd sucked too many pear drops or eaten 6 kiwis. I asked my aunt, worried again, but she assured me that's it's fine if it hurts a little- you should only stop if it begins stinging so bad you think you might not be able to eat again. Man that scared me plenty, but young Fatima helped me out with the rest of my meal so I'm fairly sure I'll be in a fit state for breakfast.

Bengalis, man- this happy frog on slow boil attitude is way too common. Like teaching us how to crush our fingers into tiny bangles- just stop short of breaking your bones ok?

The uncle also bought home some wondrous Malaysian lychee-like fruit that looked like a small wild-haired tropical monster. The aunt also says she'll cook waterlilies or 'shapla' at some point.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow lots of blogging..how have you managed to not eat kuchu yet? its also called loti (at least, that's what it sounds like you ate). I think the weird hedgehog things are also called rambutans but haven't bothered googling so could be wrong.

11:20 pm  
Blogger warm as toast said...

ah it must be something i always avoided at home. but nothing i saw ammu make ever looked like that..

11:32 pm  
Blogger warm as toast said...

oh and I googled- you are very clever they are called rambutans.

11:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep yep, rambutans they are, I had them in Malaysia...it's amazing that you can actually find them in Rome! Can you get dragon fruit as well?

2:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to the blog Not Mr Bikey! Your name is a mouthful, I may have to abbreviate..
i think if you go to asian/ chinese supermarkets you can find pretty much anything..

11:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah I think he should be called Sir Smile-a-Lot, that's what a friend knew him as before we got married!!

2:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home